To promote East Asian regional astronomy research cooperation, the East Asian Core Observatory Association (EACOA) encourages and supports highly qualified young researchers from all over the world to join and conduct joint research activities with colleagues at the EACOA member institutes.
The EACOA Fellowships are research positions at the postdoctoral level. Two EACOA Fellowships will be awarded in 2019.
Each EACOA Fellow is awarded a research grant and is expected to work full-time on research.
The Fellowship Program is administered for EACOA by the National Astronomical Observatories, Chinese Academy of Sciences (NAOC). Awards to support EACOA Fellows are made directly by the NAOC.
I. Eligibility Requirements
1. EACOA Fellowship applicants can be of any nationality, and must have obtained their PhD in Astronomy or related fields within 5 years prior to the expected start date of the fellowship.
2. An EACOA Fellow must be in residence in at least two EACOA member institutions during his or her fellowship tenure and must spend at least one year at each institute.
3. Applicants must have sufficient conversational ability in English to prevent difficulties during their research activities at the EACOA institutes.
II. Duration of Fellowships
The EACOA Fellowship is a 3–year appointment, subject to annual review and renewable for an additional 2 years, up to a total of 5-years.
Renewals for the fourth and fifth years will be based on a review of the annual report, and require demonstration of significant research accomplishments.
Renewal requests will be reviewed by the EACOA Fellowship Program Committee and are subject to availability of EACOA funds and approval by the EACOA Directors' Council.
III. Host Institutions
During the period of appointment, an EACOA Fellow should be in residence in at least two EACOA member institutions of their choice with at least one year at each of these host institutes. The Fellows should work freely in order to produce frontier sciences.
In case of uneven geographical distributions for recruited fellows, the EACOA Selection Committee will discuss with potential candidates to change their choice of Host Institution at the time of recruitment.
Regardless of the Fellows’ resident institutes, they have equal access to all research facilities run by the EACOA member institutes, e.g. ALMA, LAMOST, Subaru Telescope, SMA, JCMT.
IV. Application Procedure
Applications should be submitted through the on-line submission site:
The EACOA Secretariat Office cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not respond to such requests.
All application documents must be received by November 15, 2018, at the latest.
V. Application Documents
Please combine items 1-5 in the list of application documents - A4 in size in pdf format - into one file and submit it through the online submission site:
- All documents must be type-written in English. Documents written in any language other than English are not accepted.
- Submitted applications which do not contain all of the required documents will be automatically rejected.
- The EACOA Secretariat reserves the right to request additional documents when necessary.
- All documents received will become the property of the EACOA, and will not be returned.
After receiving the application documents, the EACOA Secretariat will send an acknowledgement to the applicants. The EACOA Secretariat will not respond to individual inquiry concerning the status/arrival of application documents.
List of Application Documents:
1. Curriculum vitae
2. Brief summary of past research and/or instrumentation experiences
3. Future research plan
Applicant should describe this document by oneself. This should include detailed information on the purpose, objective, methodology, contents, and schedule of the proposed research program. The research plan must be discussed in detail with the host scientists, and the planned content must be consistent with the research activities and facilities of the host institutions. Relevance to the EACOA institutions research activities including theoretical, observational and instrumental research will be considered.
4. Letters of endorsement
Applicants must arrange for their research plans to be endorsed by research staff members of the host institutions. The letters of endorsement must be obtained by the applicants and must be uploaded with the above mentioned other application documents. We encourage the intended applicants to contact researchers at the EACOA institutions well in advance to discuss their research plans. Lists of contact addresses of research staff at EACOA Institutes can be obtained at the following URLs.
- The National Astronomical Observatories. Chinese Academy of Sciences (NAOC)
- Purple Mountain Observatory (PMO)
- Shanghai Astronomical Observatory (SHAO)
- National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ)
- Korea Astronomy and Space Science Institute (KASI)
- Academia Sinica Institute of Astronomy and Astrophysics (ASIAA)
5. Complete List of Publications
This should include full details of each publication: paper title, list of authors, journal name and volume and page numbers, and year of publication. Please highlight the titles of the most important publications in red.
6. Names and contact information (i.e. e-mail addresses) of three references
The reference letters should be submitted through the online application system by the referees themselves by the deadline of this application, November 15, 2018.
VI. Screening & Notification of the Result of Application
1. Applications are reviewed by the EACOA Fellowship Program Committee based on academic achievements and excellence of the proposed research programs.
2. The results will be sent directly to the applicants (We expect it before the end of February, 2019 or earlier).
3. The NAOC, on behalf of the EACOA, will send a Grant Letter to successful applicants.
4. The EACOA does not issue announcements concerning the screening progress, or respond to inquiries concerning the status of such applications.
5. When the decisions of the EACOA Directors Council are announced, the EACOA will neither announce the reasons for the decision nor respond to individual inquiry concerning results.
6. The host institute will, upon the arrival of the successful applicants, send a notification letter to NAOC in order to start the payment procedure.
VII. Fellowship Stipend and Supports
The following financial supports are provided to successful applicants. Under no circumstances is any part of the fellowships transferable to any other persons or other items.
- For the year 2019 program, a monthly allowance of equivalent to US$5,000, will be paid as a fellowship award by the EACOA.
- Research fund equivalent to US$20,000 (exact amount may vary depending on the conditions and availability of the research funds of the host institute) per year will be provided by the host institute.
- Relocation expenses will be reimbursed by the EACOA, based on the actual cost for up to US$4,000.
- Additional supports for housing, travel, etc. may be available depending on the conditions set by the host institute.
Address: 20A Datun Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, China code: 100012
Tel: 010-64888708 E-mail: email@example.com